Wednesday 21 January 2009

Polar Bears and Palin; Orange and Obama

 In a political science class we learn all manner of british-isms but there have been 2 leaders that have pulled ahead as the clear winners. It is worth saying that the British are probably more interested in American politics than Americans. Every single Brit I've met has asked me if I voted for Obama, but as soon as I say yes they say, "I can't believe people voted for Sarah Palin! I mean really she kills polar bears for god sake. We were all hoping she wouldn't win" I initially thought this was mere interest in our politics, or even just a conversation starter, but then I realized - the Brits really love polar bears, really love them. Professor Cousins claims that if you ranked the top 5 concerns that Brits write to their MPs about #1 is Trees, and #2 is city crime, but coming in at #3 was the Polar Bears. There is apparently a pack of crazy environmentalists that go way beyond joining Greenpeace or PETA and have actually become violent when they suspect that someone is violating animal rights (Apparently an Imperial College professor was killed once for running cancer drug tests on rodents), but more regularly the common man is outraged that the polar bears are having to enter Norwegian towns rather than staying on their ice caps, but only outraged enough to write in, assuming their MPs can solve it all.  Sarah Palin probably has a death warrant with her name on it for even mentioning polar bear death.

As a side  note: I called Orange Mobile last night to top-up just after the inauguration and the man I spoke to finally asked, "Did you vote for Obama?" I said yes and he said, "That's fantastic, really, congratulations on that one. We all deserve someone sane for 4 years. Could you have imagined if John McCain won? You know Sarah Palin kills Polar Bears right? It would've been awful."

Side note numer 2: Did anyone else hear how Rick Warren said Barak's girls names? Malia and Sasha!  

3 comments:

  1. Joel Mchale talked about that on the soup! They showed the Rick Warren clip and then Joel reenacted it with jazz hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard that a polar bear (Whitey something or other) was running for election on the labor party ticket... he should be shoe in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. scoop = summer_cooper@hotmail.com

    I provide this information in order to prevent you from being accused of commenting on your own blogs... Three blog entries in one day is bad enough.

    Just joking. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete