Wednesday 21 January 2009

Brits Are Still Wierd To Me, pt. 1


I love the British.  Its like suddenly the mundane in my life is an adventure: having to question if oxtail soup really is made of cowtails while in the canned aisle; spending nearly $12 to do two loads of laundry (guess who's no longer seperating lights and darks),  the name changing (TK Maxx here); but I think most of all I love the Furry Hat trend. According to the London Lite, the most trusted of all UK papers, its back! And it's not just for the blokes at the Tower of London this time. Just look at Lily Allen, doesn't she look happy, healthy and radiant in her white fur hat? Its been about 50 degrees here, so I'm simply not sure why all of this fur is needed. Although, in the same vein of general British cold-weather phobia, I was told today that just a 1/4 inch of snow will shut down the whole of London. A 1/4 inch! I told a man in a small shop in Kensington today that I was from Boston and he immediately asked how cold it was, which seems to often be the first question asked when someone hears that you're from Massachusetts. I said it had been cold, even for my taste at a whopping -30  Celsius with wind chill. He shrieked, " Negative thirty?! I've never been anywhere that cold in my whole life, well maybe inside my freezer, but do freezers even get that cold?" He proceeded to tell me that he was planning on going to Florida for holiday in August. I asked if that was because they took advantage of the off-season, and he replied, "No, it just warm there then". My professor later told me that many Brits think that Florida is cold, like the rest of the east coast, until summer comes. These winter-phobe Brits are currently Disney World's best friends.


2 comments:

  1. That is craziness! BU refuses to shut down even if there's a foot of snow. But I say wear fur anyways and always. Also, I love Lily, but she is anything but healthy and radiant in that picture.
    --Lizzy

    P.S. For some reason it is logging me in as "Lizzymayhem" but I never typed that, so that is quite strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixing lights and darks, eeeeeeekkkkksss!

    ReplyDelete