Saturday 31 January 2009

We All Love Rocks







Queue the Spinal Tap album you know you have sitting around because....get ready for it.....Brits love big rocks. I don't mean the sort that you find in Harrods (and get followed around so that you don't steal at Harrods), but actual humongous boulders. I guess I should be more precise in saying the Druids have an obsession with rolling rocks into big round formations so that they would know what season it was. Slightly lesser known that Stonehenge is the stones at Avebury. I went there, I looked around, and even giving the Druids the benefit of the doubt and saying that Spring and Fall could MAYBE be confused for each other, I certainly knew what season it was, dammit. Nonetheless, it was fun to see how small I am compared to these hulking masses, and to think in history how small people were compared to us now. For all we know the Druids were no smaller than midgets which means that those rocks would have been mountains. Speaking of mountains there is this hill, really, that experts claim is the British equivalent of an Egyptian pyramid. Its just an average man made hill, but apparently there is only one person buried in it. I guess making it look like simply a hill saved the Druids some panic of looters, but really got them no marks on beauty. There aren't even flowers on it. If I ever become self absorbed enough to commission a pyramid built, I hope i ask for flowers. All of these ancient peoples and they're taupe memoriam are just not my style - men, obviously, decided on the decor there. Anyhow, enjoy.

PS who knew that thatched roofs even existed anymore?? I was certainly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment