Monday 2 February 2009

Heartier than most?



We have a snow day here in London! I haven't had a snow day in years, and it's conjuring up memories of when I first moved from Wyoming to Maine. In Wyoming we didn't have snow days. Sometimes we'd have indoor recess, but only if it was cold enough to get frostbite. I mean, I guess to be fair we didn't really get that much snow, but what we did get would blow around you in 70 mile/hr wind and chap your face almost immediately. I remember one day having early recess and going to school with damp hair, only to have it ice up and having the school nurse blow dry the ice out. We were all very afraid that my luscious locks would break right off. Now in contrast to this, when I moved to Maine I just assumed there were no snow days either (since I'd never had one to begin with) and would diligently wait for the school bus in my driveway. Finally cranky Mrs. Davis across the street would hobble out of her house and yell at me "There's no school! Go home! go back inside!". My bewildered self would walk back towards the door to my equally bewildered parents - what is this "snow day" that you speak of? - and crawl back into bed. After that tragic experience I would wait by the computer all night to see if they closed school. I would say after getting dressed, showered and fed and THEN finding out school had been cancelled this morning, my life has come full circle.

1 comment: